Soup to be eaten ALL DAY as much and as often as you can.
- 2 – 11oz. cans chicken noodle soup (Campbell Healthy)
- 5 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 lb. pack frozen string beans
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 4 potatoes (diced)
- ½ green pepper (diced)
- 2 onions (diced)
The diet also bears a striking resemblance to the cabbage soup diet.
7 Day Diet PlanDay 1
Any fruit (except bananas). Cantaloupes and watermelon are lower in calories than most other fruits. Eat only soup and fruit today. Day 2
All vegetables. Eat until you are full with fresh raw, cooked or canned veggies. Try to eat green leafy veggies and stay away from dry beans, peas or corn. Eat veggies along with the soup and a baked potato at dinner time with butter. Don’t eat any fruits through today. Day 3
Eat all the soup, fruit and veggies you want. Do not have a baked potato. Day 4
Bananas and skim milk: Eat at least 3 bananas and drink as much milk as you can today, along with the soup. Day 5
Beef and tomatoes: you may have 10 to 20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes, or as many as 6 tomatoes on this day. Eat the soup at least once today. Day 6
Beef and veggies, eat to your heart’s content of the beef and veggies today. You can even have 2-3 steaks if you like with green leafy veggies but no baked potato. Be sure to eat the soup at least once today. Day 7
Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and veggies, until full (and eat the soup). You can add cooked veggies to your rice if you wish.
- Unsweetened juices
- Tea (also herbal)
- Cranberry juice
- Skim milk
- Lots of water
The soup can be eaten at any time.
Sacred Heart Diet Variations
Here is a different version of the diet – alleged to have come from Lehigh Valley Hospital, Pennsylvania.
Follow the daily plan for 2 consecutive weeks, then take the following week off. You can repeat the cycle for as long as you like or until you achieve your weight loss goal.MONDAY
Eat SOUP and all the FRESH FRUIT that you want. Nothing else. (no bananas) TUESDAY
Eat SOUP and all the FRESH VEGETABLES that you want. Nothing else. (no corn or beans). WEDNESDAY
Eat SOUP and BOTH FRUIT & VEGETABLES, all you want. Nothing else. THURSDAY
Eat SOUP all day and 3 BANANAS. 1 GLASS OF SKIM MILK. Nothing else. FRIDAY
Eat SOUP, up to 8 TOMATOES and ALL the skinless CHICKEN, lean BEEF & FISH that you want. Nothing else. SATURDAY
Eat SOUP, ALL the skinless CHICKEN, lean BEEF & FISH that you want… nothing else. SUNDAY
Eat SOUP and all the BROWN RICE that you want. Nothing else.
The Problems With This Diet
- Any diet that would tell you to eat unlimited red meat is not healthy, especially for those with heart disease or cholesterol problems.
- Diets that only focus on certain food groups and eliminate others isn’t sustainable long term.
- With no calorie or portion guidelines in place, people could consume too little calories or way too many on certain days.
Diet Not Endorsed by a Hospital
This diet is not recommended
- The Sacred Heart Hospital in Montreal Canada (Hôpital Sacre Coeur) issued a press release in 2004 stating that “no nutritionist at the Hospital took part in the development of this diet”.
While people have reported losing a lot of weight on The Sacred Heart Diet, it is not a diet that will promote long-term healthy weight loss¹ ².