James And James/Stockbyte/Getty Images
Here's one example of how to prepare a healthy menu for a whole day that includes three meals and three snacks.
- Eating breakfast will help you start your day with plenty of energy. Don't ruin your breakfast with high-fat and high-calorie foods. Choose some protein and fiber for your breakfast, and it's a good time to eat some fresh fruit:
- One serving of oatmeal.
- One-half cup strawberries.
- A tablespoon or two chopped nuts.
- A glass of orange juice.
- A mid-morning snack is totally optional. If you eat a larger breakfast, you may not feel hungry until lunchtime. However, if you're feeling a bit hungry and lunch is still two or three hours away, a light mid-morning snack will tide you over without adding a lot of calories:
- Lunch is often something you eat at work or school, so here is an idea for a portable lunch you can pack and take with you:
- A sandwich made with two slices of 100-percent whole grain bread, two or three ounces of lean turkey breast, a little mayonnaise or mustard, a tomato slice, and lettuce.
- One-half to one cup raw baby carrots.
- One can or bottle of sparkling water.
- Order a vegetable salad with the dressing served on the side.
- A cup of soup.
- A mid-afternoon snack is also optional. Keep it low in calories and eat just enough to keep you from feeling too hungry - dinner is just a couple of hours away.
- A glass of milk.
- Dinner is a time when it's easy to over-eat, especially if you haven't eaten much during the day, so watch your portion sizes. Mentally divide your plate into four quarters. One quarter is for your meat or protein source, one quarter is for a starch, and the last two quarters are for green and colorful vegetables or a green salad:
- A light complex carbohydrate-rich evening snack may help you sleep but avoid heavy, greasy foods or foods high in refined sugars.
- Six whole grain crackers.
- Two ounces of sliced cheese.
- One piece of fresh fruit.
- Choose 100-percent whole grain bread and cereals. At least half of your servings of bread and cereals should be whole grain.
Dr Shikha Nutrihealth,balanced diet,weight loss,nutrition ...
3 out of 5 Healthy Breakfast Lesson Plan: Nutrition Made Fun!
How do I follow a balanced eating plan?