Avoid These Foods
Avoid these foods and ingredients:
- Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup: Soft drinks, fruit juices, table sugar, candy, pastries, ice cream and many others.
- Grains: Includes and pastas, wheat, spelt, rye, barley, etc.
- Legumes: Beans, lentils and many more.
- Dairy: Avoid most dairy, especially low-fat (some versions of paleo do include full-fat dairy like butter and cheese).
- Vegetable Oils: Soybean oil, sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, corn oil, grapeseed oil, safflower oil and others.
- Trans Fats: Found in margarine and various processed foods. Usually referred to as “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils.
- Artificial Sweeteners: Aspartame, Sucralose, Cyclamates, Saccharin, Acesulfame Potassium. Use natural sweeteners instead.
- Highly Processed Foods: Everything labelled “diet” or “low-fat” or has many weird ingredients. Includes artificial meal replacements.
A simple guideline: If it looks like it was made in a factory, don’t eat it!
If you want to avoid these ingredients, then you MUST read ingredients lists, even on foods that are labelled as “health foods.”
Foods to Eat on The Paleo Diet
Base your diet on these real, unprocessed paleo foods.
- Meats: Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and others.
- Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc. Choose wild-caught if you can.
- Eggs: Choose free-range, pastured or Omega-3 enriched eggs.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries and more.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
- Healthy Fats and Oils: Lard, tallow, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil and others.
- Salt and Spices: Sea salt, himalayan salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary, etc.
In the past few years, the paleo community has evolved quite a bit.
There are now several different “versions” of the paleo diet. Many of them allow some modern foods that science has shown to be healthy.
This includes quality bacon from pasture raised pigs, grass-fed butter and even some non-gluten grains like rice.
These are perfectly healthy in small amounts:
- Wine: Quality red wine is high in antioxidants and beneficial nutrients.
- Dark Chocolate: Choose one that has 70% or higher cocoa content. Quality dark chocolate is very nutritious and extremely healthy.
What to Drink When You’re Thirsty
These aren’t exactly paleo, but most people drink them anyway:
- Tea is very healthy and loaded with antioxidants and various beneficial compounds. Green tea is best.
- Coffee is actually very high in antioxidants as well. Studies show that it has many health benefits.
Watch This Video
Take Control of Your Health With My Nutrition Plan
Basic Vegan Meal Plan
P90X Nutrition Plan Daily Sample